Friday, January 3, 2014

Lovin' Parkour

I am officially obsessed with Parkour. We have been four times this week and have plans to go again tomorrow.

The remainder of the intro course included rail balancing, vaulting, precision jumping, bar work, cat leaps, wall spins, obstacle courses, and flips into the foam pit. Here's a brief listing of what we did in each Level 1 class.


On the last night of Level 1 we also revisited the benchmark skills from the first night. I was excited to beat all my original numbers, including doing six pull ups. (My original was zero!) One of the first new moves I was able to get was the lache between two bars.

Four Foot Lache

Moving up to Level 2 felt like a big jump. Not only are the workouts more demanding, the obstacles are much more challenging. A big part of Level 2 is overcoming fear and working through challenges. One of the most challenging obstacles so far involved getting across eight foot bars (the same ones I'm hanging from in the video above). I was so relieved when I made it to the other side, and then realized I needed to do a precision jump down about four feet onto a vault. It took some time and reassurance, but I finally jumped and made it no problem.

The instructors have been great about helping me work through the progressions and I've seen huge improvements in my abilities and confidence. I love how encouraging everyone is and how they make a point to celebrate your successes. It doesn't matter if it takes me twice as long as some of the guys to complete a course, they still congratulate me at the end and find something positive to point out. In our most recent class, we were warming up with climb ups onto a six foot box. I could do it, but I kept using my elbow to help me up. The instructor pulled me aside and gave me a different exercise to work on to help with the correct motion, and by the end of the night I was able to do the move without my elbow.

We participated in an Air Awareness workshop a few weeks ago where we learned how to do front flips. We've been practicing and I finally feel like I'm consistently getting it without having to think through every single step.

Front Flip on the Air Trick

Some of the skills I would like to continue to improve upon include wall spins, tacs, cat hangs to climb ups, and flips. We just signed up for a six month membership, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to practice.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome skills, Ash! It looks like a blast while challenging and rewarding! Thanks for sharing. ��

    ReplyDelete